Friday, June 27, 2008

Oh the matatus

So with all my heart I wish I could conveyed what an experience a matatu ride is to you. Each day we walk about 15 minutes to the city center and "pick" a matatu. We have the routine pretty well figured out by now and most days Tim and I are alone when we go to the center. We have figured out that nothing happens until after morning tea so we sleep a little longer and arrive right around tea time. We "picked" (which means get on) the matutu this morning and it began to race another matutu traveling the same route. At some point a car coming in the other direction caused the matutus to collide and one of our side mirrors came loose and was unable to be returned to its original position. What does someone in this situation do?? Well, in Nairobi, you pull out into the road and cut the other driver off and begin yelling at him in Swahili. I am thinking he they were cussing each other out but I am not sure as my Swahili is just not that good yet. A few minutes later we have several people from each matatu yelling at each other in the middle of the road so we decided it was time to get out and walk the rest of the way as we werent too far from the center. I kept looking back at them and they were still fighting. It was really funny to me. I wish you could see the way they drive here. It is almost like a constant game of chicken. Good times!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,
Probably a good choice to get off the matatu when the drivers start yelling at each other.
Love ya
Connie

Anonymous said...

I would like to see a picture of you guys on the matatu.. and pictures of fights are always fun too.. just saying. Miss you guys tons!

Love,
Faith

rachelshay4 said...

It's soo funny reading your blog because I know exactly what your talking about! Wait until you have a goat join you on your matatu ride! I think that what you guys are doing is awesome! Thanks for sharing your experiences:) Reading about them is making me homesick for Kenya!