Friday, April 11, 2008

One more thing...

I have had a lot of people ask if we are scared to go to Africa and honestly I have said no. Before we started talking with CMF I had a few weeks filled with some sleepless nights thinking about civil war, random violence, getting eaten by lions etc. That passed quickly as I realized I was being irrational. So when people ask now I can truly say NOPE I am not scared.
Until today.....I finished reading this book called All you cant leave behind: A rookie missionary's life in Africa by Ryan J. Murphy. It's a great book about his family's first year in Kenya. It is written like a blog so it is easy to read and I finished it in 2 days. Anyway, in the book he talks about he bugs and other pests they have encountered in Kenya. These included (to name only a few) beetles the size of walnuts, various spiders some with huge red eyes, roaches (my personal fave), and the clincher a RAT. So some of the fear is slowly creeping back in. If I can be perfectly honest when I picture these things I get a rushing sense of panic taking over my whole body. I try to picture myself in the situation and how I will handle it. Sometimes I do well and other times I seriously freak out.
To many (like my husband) this may seem silly but in my defense I handle these things better than expected in the situation and I always get rid of the critter for fear it will eat me or end up on my face. But I am thinking when people ask about my fears I may have to change my answer from none to bugs!
So if you are praying for us and you want to add this to your list I would for sure be grateful!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Alicia,
I'm so sorry about giving you the book. I thought it would encourage you, not scare you. I read about all the critters but I had no idea it would bug (no pun intended) you so much. You were very brave when you had to get rid of critters for your mom in Uganda, so I'm sure you'll be fine.
Connie

Blair Bunch said...

Our church is praying for you both! Your grandma is awesome! -Melissa Blair

Unknown said...

Thanks for the prayers! I am not really that scared of the bugs I am mostly joking. I do not like them at all but can deal if I have to, but I am praying that God will keep them all hidden while we are there!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, if you can make it through being attacked by bats, I'm sure you will be okay up against the African walnut-sized bugs!