Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Mundane

Everyone continues to assure us that people really want to know about our daily lives.  The ordinary. The mundane.  And to be honest, life is beginning to look ordinary.  We are developing habits and routines.  We are finding our way to different places, learning to drive,  and how to do things on our own.  

Until we came here I didn't realize just how much I crave routine.  Although I love adventure and trying new things, my heart longs for familiarity, for some semblance of a schedule.  When you move you obviously forego those things for awhile and I am thankful to be getting some of that back.  However, the ordinary, the mundane, the boring also scares me.  In the very depths of my soul it frightens me because in the normalcy I get comfortable. I trust in the routine, in the known.  I confess, I don't look for Jesus as much when I know how to navigate my world.  I just hate this.  I know that part of who I am just needs a schedule, to know what to expect and what is expected, but my heart that also longs for Jesus hates this because I miss Him.  I don't always see that He is all around me.  All the time. In everything.

When we first got here, I couldn't have missed Jesus in anything.  Even if I wanted to.  It felt like every step I took He was there, guiding it.  I think it would have been impossible for Him to feel any closer, but almost 2 months have passed.  We are familiarizing ourselves with Missions of Hope.  Tim has been driving and we know how to get several places unaided.  The grocery store that was overwhelming has now become known.  Our apartment feels like our home.  When frustrations arise we are learning how to handle them.  In all this, I find myself not clinging to Jesus like I did. Like I should.  Like I want to.

I think that the routine was in many ways a gift from Him to me.  He knows I need this so out of love He provides.  He wants me (us) here so He is helping make this transition as smooth as it can be.  My choice now is to hold on to what is becoming comfortable or to continue to hold on to Jesus.  To be disciplined enough to seek Him-even in the boring.  Especially in the boring.  He is all around me.  I don't want to miss it. At all.  Any part.  Of any regular, ordinary day.




No comments: