Saturday, June 27, 2009

Saying Good-Bye

On Friday we had a big farwell celebration even though I am certain we just arrived. They were kids from every school, lots of singing, dancing and plenty of cake. I always struggle with saying good-bye because to be honest I never really want to I just know that this is the time God has given me to be in this place. Before the celebration began I was just kind of an emotional mess. I found myself tearing up for no real reason and then I would look around and see other members of the team doing the same thing. This week really got to them and even though it is hard to leave and even harder to feel your heart break for these people the joy that follows is priceless. Evey time I am in a home or playing with a child or talking to a staff member I feel my break a little more for the people who live and work in Mathare and sometimes that is very painful, but the joy I get from seeing the hope they have, from seeing the love they share, from seeing God at work and feeling closer to Him is so worth the pain and the tears of sadness quickly turn to tears of joy. Who am I that I have gotten to come to Africa 3 times? Who am I that I can share God's love for people and the hope that can be found in Christ to the nations? Who are we that we got to lead a team to a place like Mathare? I continue to be reminded that we are no one special just willing to let God use us and so are the 17 other people that are with us.
Over the next few posts I will include some quotes from the team as they describe their time here.

"The authentic faith and eternal hope these children posses challenges me gretly."

"Mary is an inspiration to all! I have never met such a faithful servant."

"The poverty and hardships are overwhelming, yet the smiles and love poured out to us are overwhelming. Blessed to be a blessing."

"I can see why they named the schools Hope Centers, because they do offer the only hope that can break the cycle of poverty."

"I am so impressed by the quality of people in leadership at Missions of Hope. Everyone of them are highly educated and talented individuals that could be working somewhere else yet they have chosen to work and in some cases live in the slums so that they may bring others to Christ."

"What a graet trip! Everyone on the team has contributed alot. It has not been a hardship to serve, it has been a pleasure. 1Peter 4:8-12."

As you can read this has been a great experience. One that does not end with a flight home or a good-bye. The things we have seen, heard, smelled, touched, and participated in this week will have effects that last a lifetime. It is true we will never be the same again.

We have also said good-bye to half the team as some left early for safari and one is headed back to the states. Please pray for safe journeys and a time of reflection and renewal. Also pray for my mom and 4 ladies from Cornerstone as they are headed for Uganga today.

As we say in Africa........God is good.....All the time!

No comments: