Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Peaceful, Easy Feeling

For the past few days we have been doing home visits and a project called Bring the Light. This is where we cut a 1 foot by 1 foot hole in the room of one of the tin homes and put a pice of plexi glass over it which creates light in an otherwise dark home. Through this project we are able to bring the famiy physical light, but also we talk to them about Jesus being the light. We have told many about Jesus and many have accepted him into their lives. It has been a great week so far.

Today as we walked we travelled down many paths we walked last summer and as I stepped over garbage and other unknown things I just felt overwhelmed with peace. God is here. Even in Bondeni which many consider to be the worst part of the Mathare Valley. He is here and he is moving and we get to be a part of that. It is for sure difficul and challenging at times, but it is also full of love and joy. So to quote the Eagles (i think) as I walked today down paths I had trod before I got a peaceful, easy feeling. I love being here again. Many things have changed that is for sure, but the one thing that hasnt changed is that I find God here in a way that I cherish and long for when I am not here.

So many people have asked us if we remember them from last summer-what they dont know is that we havent stopped thinking of them and praying for them. We have been awaiting for this trip since we hopped on a plane headed for the US last July. The team is doing well and are really making a difference here and I am certainly enjoying seeing others love what I love. Tomorrow we start VBS for about 285 kids and they are so excited and we are too. Its gonna be a great time.

Please pray for the team. Some are really struggling with the reality that is the slums. PIctures can only tell so much of a story. Some are struggling with findings God's goodness in the midst of the world's ugliness. Mathare is a place that can feel so conflicting-on one side you can clearly see God at work but on the other you can see evil at its worst and it is also moving all around you. It is challenging to be standing in darkness and light at the same time. We constantly need reminding that God did not intend our lives to look this way and this is what a life seperate from him looks like at its most raw. Gods ways are not our ways for sure, but what is awesome is that God allows us to come into this darkness and overwhelm it with light, His light and that is worth every heart break and every tear.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers. Pardon the spelling errors the keyboard is weird!

2 comments:

Connie Lovelace said...

I have GOT to quit reading this blog after I put on makeup. Now I've got to go fix it again.
I'm so happy that you are getting this injection of powerful God stuff in Kenya. I know it's what you've been longing for.God's blessings on you and your whole team.
Connie

Joyce said...

We are so proud of you and the people you have become. You are doing such great work spreading God's word. We will be praying for you and your team.
Love, Aunt Joyce