Sunday, July 6, 2008

The rains down in Africa

Tim put up a few pictures-sorry it has taken so long. I want to share another matatu story with you and I want to say sorry there are no picture of them yet I really want to get the right picture so you can fully understand the essence of the matatu experience. On Friday we did home visits in one of the areas that is far from the center so we were in a matatu on the way back and it begins to rain...hard. Traffic gets a bit backed up and so our drivers does what anyone in this situation would do he goes off roading. Yep we are in a van/bus that hold like 30 people on dirt (not mud) roads driving very quickly. In America this kind of driving may not even be attempted in a 4-wheel drive truck. It was better than any ride at 6 Flags. We get back to the main road safely and traffic is still backed up and I am not sure why because I couldn't really see out. Finally, we arrive near our stop and we get off the matatu. It is still raining and so we are running and jumping around to avoid the mud and all the garbage that is now sweeping into the flooded roadway (the reason for the traffic jam). Up to this point I have managed to avoid all of the garbage and then I see it...We have to cross the road which is now covered in about 3 inches of garbage filled water. We just went for it, but I must say I was a little grossed out by all the unseen things that kept brushing past my feet. I think I am glad I couldn't see what it actually was. We made it back to the center and went to the Ham's house for a 4th of July celebration with hot dogs and fireworks. It was a great day. It seems as though we have new adventures everyday which is so much fun for us. I hope someday many of you will travel here with us so you can share the experience with us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tim and Alicia,
Love, love, love, the pictures. Love you guys too. Roger says"tell them we're praying for them".
Connie

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! We love you and miss you. We love seeing the pictures and hearing all of the stories. We are glad you are there and doing what you are doing...the pictures and stories do help you seem less far away though! You are being prayed for! Love, Adrienne & Jon