Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A few laughs

The other day Easter was going to lead to visitors around to see the IDP (internally displaced persons) camps and visit some people who had be resettled. I decided to go with him. I was waiting at one of the schools for him to come and get me and when he did I saw him with one girl who was black and had been at the training I had just left. He said 2 visitors so I thought we still had to meet them somewhere else. He introduced me to her and said Alicia tell her where you are from. So I said I am from Illinois in America. She said yeah I am from Tennessee. Oh so you know Illinois then!! Oops we laughed about that and had a good morning but for a minute I felt like an idiot. She was originally from Nigeria so I was at least right that she was African.

So I have truly seen God as my protector. Everytime we safely get off the matatu at our destination I am thankful for another fun experience, but sometimes while we are on them my time is spent praying to our Father to protect us. I say none of this to scare you we really enjoy them, but there are times when I have closed eyes and a tight grip on the handle bar. The other night as we were heading home their was an accident so we had to re-route. That generally involves taking off down some side road. Keep in mind we are in the slums and it has rained hard for 2 days so dirt roads become muddy. So I cant decide what is going to be worse getting stuck in the mud and possibly wrecking or having to get out and walk in this area after dark. Fortunately God continues to answer my cries for safety and we make it back to town. Once the adrenaline level returns to normal we just laugh. I think most times we get on the matatu we have some adventure. I want everyone to have the experience at least once, but if you are considering coming to Nairobi please know you do not have to ride a matutu. Most teams rent a van and a driver so you would only have to have this experience if you choose to. We have some video of a ride through traffic but cant get it to upload today. Maybe later.
Love you all

2 comments:

Blair Bunch said...

I am passing along the message that Grandma June says hello! We continue to pray for you! Take Care -Melissa Blair

Tim and Alicia said...

Melissa,

Thanks to everyone for your prayers. There have been many times that we have been very aware that many people are praying for Tim and I and for our team so thank you. Please tell Grandma June and Jack and the rest of the family we said HI!
Alicia