Thursday, February 14, 2008

Who knew.....

So when we got our first batch of info from CMF Tim and I were looking through it and when we came to the vaccination info we were very suprised to discover we needed a rabies pre-exposure vaccination. Needless to say, this caused us to laugh VERY hard. Some of you may remember when Tim and I first got married we lived in the third floor of his parent's house and one night we were "attacked" by a bat.

Here the short version (I hope) one night in the middle of the night we were walking down the hallway toward the bathroom when something flew out and landed on Tim's shoulder. He flung his shoulder forward and the thing flew into my hair. We ran into the bathroom where we found ourselves trapped as this thing was flying crazily about. We figure out it is a bat and when it lands on the wall away from the door Tim yells at me that we have run out of the bathroom NOW! I am paralyzed by fear and say I cant and he lovingly tells me that if we were in the army they would leave me. So under much hesitation I cover my head in towels and run for my life. We narrowly escape the bat.

The next day I call animal control to see what they think and apparently this is an emergency and what we should have done was call the sheriff's department at 3 a.m. to come and rescue us. So they come to get the bat and the can't find it so it is now somewhere hiding in our living space. Nice!!!

Since Tim got scratched and the nasty thing was in my hair they suggested we go get the rabies vaccination. So we go and get it and you must go to the ER which you know is going to be an experience. So we go and find out that on night one Tim gets 7 shots and I need 3. Then you have to get shots 3,7,14, and 21 days after the first one. I felt like someones pet dog!

It was quite the ordeal and provided a lot of humor for everyone. I jokingly said this (and many other exeriences in the first few months of our marriage) were preparing us for missions. Who knew I was right!!

So Tim and I can rest assurred that we can be bitten by any rabid beast in Africa and we are safely vaccinated from rabies.





No comments: